Biochar application to soils
The use of pyrogenic matter for agricultural purposes (so called Biochar) is a rising research topic in the scientific community. We are particularly interested in the following aspects:
- Biochar as a potential tool to increase C sequestration: More information here
- Biochar as a soil amendment: We are particularly interested in linking the biochar characteristics to it effects in different soils.
- Biochar and plant physiology: We are investigating the effect of biochar on root architecture (fig. 1).
- Biochar systems: We are developing cropping systems involving biochar. More about the use of biochar here.
- Biochar and sustainable development: In collaboration with human geographers, we are investigating the conditions for which farmers would include biochar in their cropping systems.