Our Specialized Master's programs at the Geography Department of the University of Zurich
All our Specialized Masters' programs are based on a competitive selection process and feature:
- Specialization and qualification in a particular field of interest within Geography:
- Geographic Information Science (GIScience)
- Geographies of Global Change: Resources, Markets and Development
- Glaciology & Geomorphodynamics
- Soil Science & Biogeochemistry
- Hydrology & Climate
- Remote Sensing
- Close mentoring and supervision
- Personalized courses of study (min. 30 ECTS)
- Selective courses offerings
- Emphasis on individual research (i.e., Master’s theses for 60 and/or 45 ECTS, depending on the program)
How about the study expenses in Zurich?
Switzerland is commonly considered as an expensive place to live – but compared to other leading universities studying at the University of Zurich is relatively favorable due to the low tuition fees. More details
We have done the math – have a look at our comparison.
What is special about the Specialized Master's programs in Geography?
We pay particular attention to your personal research needs. This is the reason we offer personalized mentoring, and emphasize your Master’s thesis research with up to 60 ECTS. This means: You can further deepen your knowledge and skills in the topic that interests you most.
A Specialized Master’s degree in Geography opens new fields for committed researchers. There are many untouched topics waiting for you to be discovered! With your personal engagement and commitment you can contribute to finding new solutions for the most daunting problems of our planet.
Listen what Maria Burga Hidalgo says about her Master's thesis:
Why Ivor Mardesic decided to join us for a Specialized Master’s at the University of Zurich:
Many students dream of a meaningful career after their Master’s degree. A satisfying job that challenges them, but where they can also demonstrate their newly acquired knowledge, skills and mastery of the subject area. This is exactly why we emphasize the Master’s thesis in our Specialized Master’s programs: It is your unique opportunity to deepen your knowledge and skill base that qualifies you for the job of your dreams.
Ok, so is a Specialized Master’s program the right choice for you? Are you looking for a Master’s degree program that provides you with …
- an in-depth research-oriented education;
- a broad range of marketable skills to carry out independent scientific work;
- close mentoring throughout your studies;
- the opportunity to work with a group of internationally recognized scholars;
- a group of student peers who are equally committed, fully engaged in their studies, and ambitious;
- the opportunity to further develop your own research ideas, and to implement them in a comprehensive Master’s thesis;
- an internationally recognized degree from a leading European Research University (LERU)
- an international program in English
Well, then our Specialized Master’s degree in Geography is the right choice for you!
The Specialized Master’s programs are especially suitable for you if you enjoy academic work, you wish to emphasize scientific research for your Master’s degree. Perhaps you even consider to continue on for a PhD, or you dream to work at a research institution after completion of your studies. A Specialized Master’s also provides an optimal entry point for students with backgrounds outside of Geography who wish to switch from their Bachelor’s degree into a Master’s of Science in Geography.
Please note: A switch from any of the Specialized Master’s programs to the Consecutive Master’s or vice versa is not possible.
What about prerequisites or specific training in mathematics, chemistry or biology?
A Master’s degree can be challenging. There will be periods where you might get stuck. Your mentors are here to help you get back on track.
Many of our students in the Specialized Master’s degree go abroad during their course of study: some for a student exchange at another university, some for their field research. Field experience, expertise in various languages, or simply experience working and living abroad is a distinguishing factor for landing your dream job after your Master’s degree.
In a nutshell: As a student in any of our Specialized Master’s degrees you can tailor your Master’s thesis according to your interests. You get close mentoring throughout your studies. You get direct access to faculty and staff at the department. You study in small groups of like-minded peers. You get a personalized experience, and you are flexible to combine different research areas and fields across all the faculties of the University of Zurich and beyond.