The group focuses on organic matter (OM) stabilization in the soil-plant system as affected by global change. We try to solve a paradox: why plant derived OM stays in soil for centuries even though energetically it should be mineralised much faster. We hypothesise that this persistence is due to ecosystem properties rather than chemical features. We are particularly investigating three topics: the pyrogenic OM, the root derived OM and soil OM vulnerability.
- Mirjam Studer (PhD candidate)
- Beatriz Gonzales Dominguez (PhD candidate)
- Juliane Hirte (external PhD candidate)
- Cordula Friedli (external PhD candidate)
- Pierre Stevenel (external PhD candidate)